Here at Sugar Valley, riding instruction is offered to students, ages 3 & up, including adults. We specialize in a style of English riding, called Saddle Seat. Our primary focus is on a particular breed of horse, the American Saddlebred. Due to their versatile nature, high intelligence, excellent temperament and "big" personalities, American Saddlebreds make wonderful horses for riders of all ages and abilities.
Our lesson program is designed to teach all levels of rider the basic principles of good horsemanship with safety as the first priority. Lessons are taught year-round on our safe school horses, from former World Champion show horses to the calmest beginner mounts. You will work closely with your riding instructor to achieve your goals, whether they include competing at horse shows or simply enjoying leisurely trail rides.
Riding instruction is available seven days a week, by appointment only. We have various openings for lessons in the mornings, afternoons or evenings both during the week and on weekends.
Horseback riding lessons are approximately 45 minutes in length, including grooming, tacking/untacking and cooling out time. Plan to arrive a few minutes before your scheduled lesson time so that you are prepared to get your horse out, groomed and ready to ride!
Appropriate riding attire is required for your horse riding lessons. Please check with your instructor before purchasing your riding gear, as our riding discipline requires a specific style of clothing.
The benefits of horseback riding are immeasurable. Horses are great teachers, instilling upon us confidence, patience, discipline, flexibility, the value of hard work, and the ability to set and achieve goals. They even teach us that sometimes life isn't fair, even with hard work. These are all excellent life skills which help to shape our riders into successful adults who are able to navigate today's complex world. Here are just a few more reasons why we love it:
1) Build confidence and self esteem!
2) Excellent physical activity! Improve strength and physical stamina!
3) Develop excellent coordination and balance!
3) Learn the importance of hard work and determination!
4) Learn that life isn't always fair, even with hard work.
5) Form a strong bond/companionship with a horse!
6) Learn how to set goals, and how to work towards achieving them!
6) Make new friends who share the same interests! Some of our best friends in life end up being "from the barn."
7) Become part of our team. Learn about both teamwork and leadership qualities, both with your horse and with the other members of our SVF "barn family."
8) Learn discipline, flexibility and resiliency.
9) Competition - yes, we compete! Take your newly-acquired equestrian skills to the show ring!
10) IT IS SO MUCH FUN!!!
$40.00 per lesson: for a 45 minute private or semi-private riding lesson, for riders ages 6 & up. Lesson includes appropriate grooming, tacking, and cooling out time.
$300.00 once-weekly discounted lesson package: Get 10 riding lessons ($30.00 per lesson). Our discounted lesson package is designed for our regular students (ages 6 & up) who ride consistently on a weekly basis. Inquire for details.
$440.00 twice-weekly discounted lesson package: Get 16 riding lessons ($27.50 per lesson). This discounted package is designed for our regular students (ages 6 & up) who ride twice each week. Inquire for details.
$25.00 young rider lesson: this 25 minute private lesson is designed especially for our youngest riders, ages 3 through 5.
$200.00 young rider discounted lesson package. Get 10 riding lessons ($20.00 per lesson). This discounted lesson package is designed for our young riders who ride consistently on a weekly basis. Inquire for details.